Charlie the Beagle/Basset

Charlie the Beagle/Basset
Old Dog, Old Soul

Monday, March 16, 2009



Last night my boyfriend and I went to Motorino for dinner in Williamsburg. It was crowded and I had heard all this hype about their pizza. I had ordered it once before, but it was a delivery and I figured that the consistency of their pizza had something to do with the fact that it was in a box, which was in a bag - you get the idea- and it was, well, chewy. And while I am not one for a crust that is like a brick, if I wanted a chew toy I would borrow from a dog. (See below mentioned beagle.)

We are seated, right by the front door, which was fine. The table of 3 next to us, was taking full advantage of the still BYOB policy while the restaurant waits for their license. They had 4 bottles on their table and also, I later realized, a spit cup for tasting. Now, last time I checked, we were in a recession. Why would you waste a bottle of wine for tasting with 3 people? Now, the only one I saw spitting was the guy - the ladies seemed to be doing quite fine on the drinking, and talking about how white wine goes fine with cheese, not just red. And yay for them that they were having such a faaaabulous time. Boo for me that I had to listen to it.

Back to the pizza: Good, but not great. All the flavors were great-the sauce, the cheese, but again, CHEWY. I felt it needed just two more minutes in the oven, or maybe to be a touch thinner. One thing that shines is the roasted beet salad with ricotta salata. Amazing.

No comments: